YOU DECIDE Chicken Factsheet
Conventionally raised chickens have their beaks clipped so they can’t peck each other in their confined /
Someday Farm chickens have their beaks in tact because they have plenty of room to range and
thus have no interest in pecking each other. They also need their full beaks to dig for worms and to find needed grit. The grit helps in breaking down their various sized foods.
Conventionally raised chickens have artificial lights on in their confinement barns 24/7. These intense lights encourage birds to eat 24/7.
Someday Farm chickens are outside thus have all the natural light they need and want. They have limited grain for ½ the day which means that they are encouraged to fill up on pasture plants and bugs. Who would want to eat only one food type their whole life?
Conventionally raised chickens are fed hormones and antibiotics to encourage growth. 20 percent of these additives are absorbed by the birds, which then can be absorbed through human consumption. The remaining 80 percent is left behind in the barn floor litter. This tainted litter is spread on fields as fertilizer which then contaminates soil and water.
Someday Farm chickens are fed unadulterated grain, given no growth additives, and are encouraged to consume pasture plants and bugs. Someday birds, of comparable size to conventional birds, take two –three weeks longer to reach a mature weight of 4 lbs. You can guess why.
Conventionally raised chickens are fed grain that contains arsenic. Arsenic is known to cause cancer
in humans but the chicken industry claims that arsenic is in low doses. The arsenic adds pink color
and plumpness to the meat.
Someday Farm chickens are already pink in color. Pinkness occurs when a bird has exercise. Someday birds are plump because they are grown for 2-3 weeks longer than conventional poultry. They are mature and not pushed to being harvested prematurely.
Conventionally raised chickens are cage free which means they are “free range”. Free range in a window-less barn that is.
Someday Farm chickens go outside every day. They actually range on range. They experience sunshine on their backs and feel the soil under their feet. They do what chickens are supposed to do.
Conventionally raised chickens often lose the strength in their legs making them unable to walk. This is because their bones cannot grow in proportion to their bodies particularly their oversized breasts.
Someday Farm chickens go outside every day and get plenty of exercise. Their legs are strong and match the rest of their body in growth rates.
Conventionally raised chickens are raised by corporations. These corporations often are vertically integrated. They own the hatchery, the feed mills, the processing plants, packing facilities, and of course the farmers too. The word to describe this system is “Chickenization”.
Someday Farm is a family operated small business and relies on other small businesses to
supply them with chicks and feed. Someday has its own State inspected processing plant. Someday is transparent where it counts and is community dependent for its infrastructure and markets.
Conventionally raised chickens are sold to wholesale markets. The people who are commissioned to grow out the birds are numbers, not families. It is hard, if not impossible, to trace a chicken to its home barn.
Someday Farm chickens are sold locally and by those folks who grow them. They are grown and processed, packaged and marketed all by one family. You can trace each chicken right back to the pastures and brooding barn that they were raised on and in. The Someday Family eats the same birds that they grow out for their community.
Conventionally raised chickens make no sounds as they grow. Maybe it’s the huge fans that are constantly blowing the ammonia-laden air around the barns that dims the sound of the chickens.
Someday Farm chickens chirp and make nibbling sounds. They make little stomping sounds when they run out to pasture each morning. Ever heard a chicken slurp up water? Pretty funny!
NOW YOU DECIDE WHICH CHICKENS YOU PREFER…
Here's where you can see our latest products and events around the farm.